Saturday, June 29, 2013

Good Morning

I have always considered myself a night owl pretty much my whole life. I almost always worked a night shift for jobs, stayed up late, and never really got up with the sun. In fact, if I was ever up with the sun, it was because I had been up all night. So this morning was a shock to both Doug and my Mom when I actually got up with the sun!

We're camping at a gorgeous spot called Rocky Point Resort located in Klamath Falls, Oregon which is the next largest town over the California/Oregon border. When we decided to drive up this way, we began looking at campgrounds in the area and I actually found this one we're now at. It looked incredibly beautiful from the website; RVs tucked in among the tall trees, lots of birds in the area, and an out-of-the-way area with few distractions. I was hopeful, but I didn't believe the website 100%. Well, let me tell you, it's all of that and more. The grounds are incredible with tall trees everywhere, birds flying all over the area, and very little people or car noise. So, because of all the above reasons, I couldn't resist getting up with the sun and enjoying the peace and quiet as the world begins to emerge.
So good morning to everyone today and I hope you all enjoy your day.

But before I say goodbye, I wanted to fill you in on our plans for today. We're headed to Crater Lake National Park which is located about 60 miles north of the campground. The lake is reported to be one of the deepest lakes in North America at about 1,900 feet. Because of these depths, the water is said to be some of the most gorgeous blue colors people have seen. But what makes this park so interesting is that for about 8 to 9 months of the year, it's buried until a thick coat of snow sometimes up to 40 or more feet a year.

We plan on spending the day at the park exploring the area then we'll make the drive outside of Portland. Last year on our Alaska trip, we learned of a fabulous donut shop located in Portland that we actually stopped at going up to Alaska and returning. It's called Voodoo donuts and it's one of the best donut shops I've ever been to. They actually have a donut called the voodoo doll that comes with a pretzel stick instead of a pin! But they also have other donuts that are both original and odd, but it's an amazing place. And, in addition to getting donuts, you can also get married at the store.

I just wanted to catch you up on our trip so far, but we will post some more pictures for you later today or tomorrow. I took quite a lot of pictures this morning on the lake and we'll be taking lots more today at the park and around the area.  Here is the link to the pictures we posted to Flickr.

Thank you again for joining us on this amazing adventure; we're excited to have you along for the ride. And don't forget that you can always leave us comments-we love hearing from you.

No comments: